Sunday, February 14, 2016

Taste in music can change over the years. So when I had become reunited with an old friend on Facebook she was in for a shocker. When I admitted my Rob Thomas obsession she actually had to ask if I was being serious. As a heart attack.
And it got me to thinking , why did I go from 70's punk to more commercial music? I found out that just because it is popular does not mean it is bad and I was past my twenties, the cool police were now dead and possibly even forgotten. Also being the music enthusiast that I was , I had actually met some of my favorite bands over the years. I talked to these musicians, asked for autographs, waited in the cold to hear a sound check. I saw how hard they worked, the love for their fans and even some of their own demons take a bite out of them. So in time , music became bittersweet.
Many great bands simply broke up, gave up . They got into contractual problems with record companies , and worse got no credit for their footprint on any musical movement. Worst of all some members died making favorite songs bittersweet.
Matchbox Twenty did not hold any bad memories, Rob Thomas causes me to chair dance and forget I am well past my prime. I hear the music and don't end up wondering if this one suffered before they died, or what happened to so and so...
It leaves me to be free and exhale. So for that I thank Rob Thomas. This is a new musical adventure for me. A safe place to relax and simply appreciate.
http://www.robthomasmusic.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment